Recent viewing

Wondering when I can next justify yet another viewing of The West Wing, I've been watching the re-run of The Killing on BBC4 in advance of a new series. The first showing got rave reviews and I recall reading something along the lines of 'What are we going to do on Saturday evenings when the series comes to an end?' It's been screened Sunday to Thursday evenings from 10.00-11.00 for four weeks so it's been late night viewing and catch-up when I've missed it. From the first episode I got thoroughly hooked by this compelling drama. I haven't seen the American spin-off but the original Danish is mostly understated but constantly taut with superb characterisation and a plot that keeps you guessing almost to the end. It's dark, it's bleak and it's strangely satisfying.

Just before we hit the ground of September running, we had a terrific day in London with our friends Chris and Frances. Chris is a composer - Microjazz is one of his most popular series of compositions - and a highpoint, just as we were about to tuck into gourmet burgers, was Chris presenting me with the first movement of a trio he's writing for the Horizon Ensemble. What a gift! We'd just been to the Curzon Renoir to see in 3D, Pina, a film documentary about the dancer and choreographer Pina Bausch. This was a wonderful, wonderful film, quirky, but moving and utterly enchanting. Clearly she had a huge influence on the dancers in her company and they spoke with reverence about the inspiration that she'd given them. The DVD came out the following week and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Another noteworthy film was Submarine, a coming of age film, again, quite quirky but lovely. I'd love to see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy as it's getting almost constant five star reception. But September is far from over yet and I'm not yet back to enough of a moderate pace that would allow a cinema visit. Later maybe.

Comments

Popular Posts