Hope

For the next week Living Wittily has committed himself to one sentence Blogposts. I read this one sentence yesterday, which I returned to today. It's from Frederick Buechner, Listening to Your Life, in which he is reflecting on the Seven Virtues.

'Hope is the glimmer on the horizon that keeps faith plugging forward, the wings that keep it more or less in the air.'

In a culture, and especially a church culture which veers towards the exaggerated, I appreciated the understatement, the more modest claim, the rootedness, in this description.

Comments

Craig Gardiner said…
Hi
Meredith and I read that one this morning,(we were catching up from yesterday), looks like we are using the same book. It was of some concern to me that I could name the deadly sins, but not the cardinal virtues!

Popular Posts