What's the one thing that you want to say to musicians in worship?

Next weekend the Regional Ministry Team(RMT) of the Central Baptist Association (CBA) are providing a 'Barnabas Weekend' in the Buckinghamshire Forum. As the name suggests, the purpose is for the RMT to bring some encouragement to the Baptist churches in that particular area. On the Friday evening we are holding a Quiz Night, and then on the Saturday there will be various workshops - Children's /Youth Work, Web sites/communication, Caleb Challenge: working with older people, and I'm doing one on Music in Worship.

There was a time when I did a lot of music and worship stuff, but it's been a while. I'm looking forward to it, and giving some thought to what I want to say to what is likely to be a fairly diverse group who are involved in music and worship.

My aim, in keeping with the weekend, is to encourage the musicians who come, and I have some things to say that I think are important in the present music/worship culture. If you were in my position, what's the one thing you would want to say? I'd love to hear from you on this. I'll return to this.

Comments

andygoodliff said…
Geoff,

what i'm trying to say to my young people who are starting to play is:

1. Less is often more
2. your playing is enabling worship to be of the people, not for the people
3. where possible practice at home, so you are familiar with songs in advance
4. sensitivity - to each other, to the congregation, to God!
Catriona said…
I tend to agree with Andy.

I'd want to add that there is nothing wrong with a creaky old piano and a few bum notes - I have two wonderful ladies who play piano for us, neither is perfect as a pianist, and the school piano desperately needs tuning, but their hearts are good and we are enabled to worship.

A practical one - please give the the congrgeation a proper introduction and a solid start to the singing. I occasionally worship at a church with a talented music group who, sadly, do not yet know how to lead others in worship and it is often two lines in before the congregation realise the song has started.

Build up a broad repertoire - of styles, moods, composers and eras.

And lastly, never be afraid to say you need a break. When it becomes a chore, you need a rest - and that's not wrong.
Trevor Coultart said…
I would tell them that the drummer is always right. Well, of course I would.
Pete Lev said…
I would say "keep it real" - authenticity is far more important than being up to date.
And "keep it simple" - know your limits and ability.
I guess both of these could be summed up by "don't try to be something you're not".
That and practice really is important.
Jon said…
I would be inclined to say "keep it simple", overcomplicating things can sometimes draw away from the task in hand, and through this I would agree with Andy in saying that "less is often more".

Also, I think its really important to listen to what everyone else is doing.

Other than that give it energy, go for it 100%, that alone will improve the performance 10 fold, and will be in tune with how we should be worshipping God!

confidence is the key :)

Popular Posts